Crafting quilts can be an incredibly satisfying experience. But if you’re looking to take your quilting to the next level, it’s important to understand the importance of using rulers. With the right ruler and a few tips and tricks, you’ll be on your way to achieving professional-level results. Let’s take a look at what you need to know about quilting rulers!
Ruler Types and Uses
There are several different types of rulers available for use in quilting projects. The most popular type is the 6”x24” (15cm x 60cm) acrylic ruler, which is commonly used for marking straight lines and cutting precise shapes. A clear acrylic ruler is also essential for measuring and marking angles in patchwork designs. These rulers usually come with markings along their edges that help you measure angles of up to 45 degrees, making them perfect for creating complex patterns like stars or hexagons. If you want to create intricate curved designs, then a marked circle template ruler may be helpful. This type of ruler has markings that indicate various circle sizes, allowing you to cut perfectly symmetrical curves without having to guess or eyeball measurements.
Tips for Using Quilting Rulers
Using a quilting ruler properly can make all the difference in achieving precise results. Here are some tips to keep in mind when using a ruler:
• Always use a sharp rotary cutter – dull blades can cause fraying or uneven cuts;
• Place your fabric onto an ironing board or other flat surface before cutting;
• Use low-tack tape or pieces of paper underneath the fabric while cutting – this will help hold it in place and prevent slippage;
• When measuring angles, make sure that the edge of your ruler is flush with the edge of your fabric;
• For curves, always make sure that any circles being cut are lined up with their corresponding markings on the ruler.
• Take your time – rushing through cuts can cause mistakes which will affect overall accuracy;
• Finally, always double-check measurements before cutting – this will save you from wasting fabric!
Quilting rulers are essential for achieving professional-level results when crafting quilts. By understanding what types of rulers are available and following these tips for proper usage, you should have no trouble creating beautiful projects every time!
If you're a passionate quilter or just starting out, there's no better way to make sure your projects have the perfect shape and size than with the right ruler. With so many different rulers, it can be hard to know which one is best. We've done the hard work for you by researching the top quilting rulers on the market and creating a list of our favorites. Click the link below to learn more about the best of the best, and start creating quilting masterpieces today!